CELLO STUDIO POLICY (as of October 2020
Please read carefully!
1. Payment is to be made by check or cash in the first week of the month - the cost is pro-rated over the 11 month period from September through July, with 42 lessons in that time period, so that there will be equal payments, making bookkeeping easier for students and for me! The lessons themselves begin on the Tuesday after Labor Day and are to be completed by July 30.
2. Individual lessons are available at a higher cost than the pro-rated lessons. Please ask me about the cost for this, if you would prefer non-weekly lessons, or to pay by the lesson. The cancellation/make-up policy remains the same as below for scheduled individual lessons.
3. There will be a returned check charge of $50.00 for bounced checks, and cash only will be accepted after a check has bounced.
4. If you do not pay in the first week of the month in person (ie. if the student misses that lesson or payment was left at home), the payment must be received by mail or dropped off before the 2nd week of lessons to avoid a late charge of $5.00 per week.
CANCELLATIONS AND MAKE-UPS:
1. NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS WILL BE ISSUED.
2. I will make up any lesson missed on my part.
3. There are three categories of missed lessons:
A. Rescheduled (student lets me know with at least 24 hours notice and can reschedule to another time on Tuesday or Thursday of the same week)
B. Excused (student lets me know with at least 24 hours notice and needs to reschedule to another week OR student has a serious family emergency or is ill and lets me know by 10:00 the day of the lesson) There is a limit of 4 excused absences during the year and make-ups must be completed by July 30.
C. Unexcused absence (Any call to miss a lesson after the 24 hour deadline, or the 10:00 serious emergency deadline will be considered an unexcused absence and will not be eligible for a make-up lesson. This also includes missing a lesson due to late arrival,
forgetting the lesson, bad traffic, no practice, forgetting the cello/books/bow, fingernails too long, etc......). It will be at my discretion whether a lesson will take place if the student does not have the correct materials, is too late, has not practiced, etc.
4. It will be the responsibility of the student/parents to initiate the scheduling of make up lessons. Once scheduled, if a make-up or rescheduled lesson is missed for any reason, that lesson becomes forfeit and no further make-up for the original lesson will take place.
5. If you are late, the lesson will run to its normal end-time. No extension of time will be possible.
6. Please do not come to a lesson if sick (running a fever WITHIN 24 HOURS of the lesson, vomiting, diarrhea, cough, sinus infection, etc).
1. Students should arrive 5 minutes prior to the lesson start with all equipment and books. Use this time to unpack and tune quietly. The lesson should be well - practiced and prepared - 5 days a week of a minimum time that equals the lesson length each of those days (unless we discuss otherwise at the lesson). If the student is not prepared to take a lesson, for whatever reason, including forgetting bow, cello, music, I reserve the right not to teach the lesson, and the lesson will be forfeit and charged. When, on that rare occasion, when circumstances have interfered in preparation, please let me know. This should NOT happen often!!
2. If adequate preparation does not appear to be taking place, as judged by the progress of the student, that student will be put on a month-long probation. At the end of that time, we will re-evaluate the continuance of that student in the studio.
1. I highly encourage participation in school ensembles, youth orchestras and chamber groups. Please keep me informed of all musical activities. I like to brag about my students!!! I also ask parents to take students to live concerts - there are many in our area, some even free! There are two classical music stations WRTI ( 90.1 FM) which broadcasts classical until 6:00 PM, then jazz), and WWFM (89.1 FM and 89.5 HD2), as well as concert broadcasts on WHYY TV. There is nothing like attending a live performance, however.
2. Our goal in lessons is to learn as much as possible about this fine instrument and music. In following these procedures, it allows us the freedom and scope to explore this most enjoyable art. I look forward to our time together!!
3. Remember!!!! Communication is the key in any successful, so PLEASE let me know if there is any problem with practicing, lessons, or anything that would interfere with a positive learning environment!!
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything."